Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

03 November, 2011

Resources

I know that resources for those of us with DID are scarce so I thought I would share what I have found so far.
One of the first sites I found is Fort Refuge. It is a Community for survivors of abuse, not just Child abuse but all forms. They have forums where you can post comments or ideas, chat rooms, and further resource information. There are many sections for different Survivors including DID. I highly recommend heading in for a look. It can be a great online community.
Another site I have found but not spent too much time in is T.A.S.D.D. This stands for Therapeutic Alliance for the Recovery from Dissociative Disorders. There motto is "Breaking down the isolation and silence".
Ivory Garden DID support Group
Leah Peterson: Flawed but Authentic
Some blogs of interest are:
Seeing Through Multiple Eyes
Dissociative Living
Integration from the Sidran Institute
Blooming Lotus
and my favourite, Holding my childhood to ransom
I hope some of these sites are helpful for you. I have not spend much time on some of them so cannot guarantee how accurate they are, but they may be worth a look.

I recently also found a list of movies supposedly about people with DID. Now keep in mind they are what Hollywood considers entertaining, not necessarily factual. But it may be fun to have a watch of some of them and get an idea of how we are portrayed in the media. I managed to hire 5 of them on DVD. It was interesting to talk to the Sales person at the DVD store when I said the 5 movies I had chosen all had a theme. He couldn't pick it, and when I told him he said something about them all being Sckitzo!! Hmm not really helpful but I guess I got a picture of how ill informed most people are.
Any way here they are:
Trilogy of Fear: Millicent and Therese ( found it on Youtube)
Secret Window, 2004
Colour of Night, staring Bruce Willis, 1994 (R)
Primal Fear, 1996
 Shattered Mind, 1996
Never Talk to Strangers, 1995
Identity, 2003
Me, Myself and Irene, Starring Jim Carrey and Renee Zellweger
The Ward, 2010

So far I have watched Trilogy of fear and Me, myself and Irene. My husband watched Me, myself and Irene with me and interestingly said if he hadn't known before he watched it he would never have picked DID. It was not my favourite movie, but I am not really a big Jim Carrey fan.

 Well I hope you find some of this information interesting and or helpful. Have some fun and enjoy today. It is gong to be a beautiful sunny day here in South Australia so I intend to make the most of it.
Please keep me informed on what you watched and like and what sites you found helpful. If you know of any other great resources please let me know so we can share them with others out there.

I nearly forgot the best resource I have found ever!!!!! If you are blessed to live in Adelaide, South Australia, of even anywhere in Australia and traveling to Adelaide at some time, please check out our amazing BRIDGES group.
This is a group for people with Dissociative Disorders. We meet every Friday at 1.30pm to 3pm at MIFSA (the Mental Illness Fellowship of South Australia) 5 Cooke Tce, Wayville, SA.
Because of the disorders the group deals with it is NOT open for onlookers. If your have a dissociative disorder of any kind you are most welcome to come.
Well that's enough rambling from me now, have a great day and keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment