Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

02 November, 2011

Dreams

 Dreams as defined by Wikipedia are:
 successions of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that occur involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.[1] The content and purpose of dreams are not definitively understood, though they have been a topic of scientific speculation, philosophical intrigue and religious interest throughout recorded history.

Research shows that we all dream during sleep, but of course not all of us remember them in the morning. Dreams are often considered a way for the subconscious part of the brain to process the days events.
I imagine that none of this information is new to you, me either, until Friday at Bridges (DID support group).
I have wondered and felt for a while that maybe it is Alters, in the case of Multiples, who often communicate to me during dreams. In the morning I almost always remember my dreams and I find that if a dream has a particular strength to it I will not be allowed to forget it. My alters will keep reminding me of it and replaying pieces of it throughout my day until I get the message.
This topic was brought up in Bridges, and we were all very surprised to see that it is common to all of the Multiples there. We all spoke of similar experiences and were all sure that our alters talk to us through our dreams. What amazed us is that we had never really considered it before.
Since this revelation I have taken the time in the morning when I wake up from a dream, to lay there and try to
summarize the dream, and understand the main points. When I get it right I am able to 'hear' what my alters are trying to say and take action if needed. Sometimes just listening is all they need me to do. Through this I have found a wonderful door has opened up to communication.
Many of us experience reoccurring dreams, or dreams with a reoccurring theme. This has often left me confused as to what is meant by it. For me a common dream is the ocean crossing over a road or path I am trying to take. The ocean may have sharks or even whales in it, but it is always blocking my path.

About the time I started Therapy I had several dreams about the end of the world. They were very frightening and left me shaken when I woke up. I guess in a sense it was the end of a world. Not sure I really understood it then but it makes more sense now.

Although I have not managed to really understand some of these dreams, have been told by a friend that if I paint or draw a picture of what is happening in the dreams it may  stop them reoccurring. I haven't as yet done it but I intend to soon.
None of us at Bridges, nor my Therapist could remember any research done on DID and dreams. It is an amazing topic.
I would love to hear from you if you have DID and have experienced anything like this. Or if you know of any other topics we can share.

No comments:

Post a Comment