Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

06 November, 2011

Movie Reviews

This is not what I thought I would be putting on this site, but I thought I would give a brief review of what I thought of the movies I mentioned in my last post. I will do my best not to spoil the ending in anyway. I think that we could argue forever the factual content of the movies, and whether they help or damage the public's view of DID. Definitely some are better than others.

Me, Myself and Irene: As I said before I am not a Jim Carrey fan. The movie is obviously a comedy and not intended to be in any way factual. They referred to him as having schizophrenia, although of course, he did not.
If you like his films you will probably love it but from a DID point of view, I wouldn't waste my time.

Colour of Night: Staring Bruce Willis. (Rated R, Erotic) Improving on the content but I still really wasn't terribly impressed. Again, ok to watch, and does keep you thinking for a bit, but nothing too in depth in regards to DID.

Primal Fear: Staring Richard Gere as a top notch defense attorney. I enjoyed this one more and it had more content. Classified as a Thriller and I like it. Enough DID content to make it interesting.




Never Talk to Strangers: a Psychological Thriller (my favourite movies) and this one definitely lives up to my expectations. Good concept and keeps you guessing for most of the movie. Much more informative and has some good information.
Quote from the movie: "Multiple Personality Disorder cannot easily be faked. The creation of the multiple personalities can always be traced back to childhood trauma often involving violent sexual abuse. Sub consciously the child creates other personalities that share the burden, the literally unbearable burden of shame, the repressed memory of the childhood events. These personalities often turn against the creator sometimes inflicting actual bodily harm"


Identity: (Thriller) My favouite of the 5 I hired. Someone has put a lot of thought into the concept and how it works out. I remember watching it once before a few years ago, well before my diagnosis, and not being able to get my head around it and thinking it all a bit strange. Now of course I understand. Well worth a watch, I am watching it for the 3rd time. Keeps your mind involved trying to figure it all out. My favourite quote from the movie:
"When I was going up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish he'd go away"



There are a few instances in the movies where they say 'Dis-association" instead if Dissociation, and Multiple Personality Syndrome, so a little frustrating they couldn't get that right.
All in all I enjoyed the 'research'.
There is one obvious theme through the movies. Can a person with DID be held accountable for the actions of an alter. I am not really surprised that this is what people are curious about, after all, it sounds the perfect way to commit a crime and get away with it. Those of us with DID know that there is so much more to who we are, and most of us are not violent to others. Yes, self harm is often a problem with multiples and it can take years and years of hard work to beat.

Ultimately I think there is no wonder people don't really know how to take us, if this is what they see and know about DID. People with DID are seen as crazy, often violent and dangerous. There is a lot of information we need to share to educate the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment