Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

07 November, 2012

Unconditional Love

What is it?
Unconditional Love: affection with no limits or conditions; complete love (online dictionary)

From Wikipedia:
Unconditional love is known as affection without any limitations. This term is sometimes associated with other terms such as true altruism, complete love, or "mother's love." Each area of expertise has a certain way of describing unconditional love, but most will agree that it is that type of love which has no bounds and is unchanging. It is a concept comparable to true love, a term which is more frequently used to describe love between lovers. By contrast, unconditional love is frequently used to describe love between family members, comrades in arms and between others in highly committed relationships. An example of this is a parent's love for their child; no matter a test score, a life changing decision, an argument, or a strong belief, the amount of love that remains between this bond is seen as unchanging and unconditional.

True love, love without conditions. What are the conditions that can so often get in the way?
You are not good enough, you are not what I thought you would be. You are not making me proud by doing what I want. You are embarrassing me in front of my friends. I want you to be different from who you are. You are not tall enough, fast enough, skinny enough. I never really wanted you, you are in my way. You are not perfect. You do not work hard enough. There are thousands of them of course, and we can all name a few.
We all know many people who we would never expect to give us unconditional love. But there are a select few from whom we hope or even expect it from. Family is often one of them. We hope/expect that these people will love and accept us no matter what we do. No matter how hard we push.
What happens when these people do not give us unconditional love. What happens when maybe they are unable or unwilling to give it. It is possible that you learn that your worth becomes entirely based on what you do. You, on your own, have not value. Who you are as a person is not important. What is more important is what you can achieve, who you can impress. If you are not achieving then you have no value. I'll say it again....you have no value!
It is a horrible thing to say to someone. But would we ever say it to someone.  Most of us never would, not directly anyway. But are we saying it indirectly?  Where are are priorities? We often hear someone say they would die for that person. This is rarely tested as there are not many opportunities where are lives are on the line. But a better point is, do you die for them daily? Are they important enough to you to give them time today. Are the other things in your life more important than them. Of course not you say..nothing is more important than a person! But I just can't be there for them today, or this week really...I am just to busy. I will be there for them next week or maybe the week after. They will understand, they know that I love them.
The question is, Do they? Do they really know that you love them, or do they know that actions speak louder than words? Would you die for them daily? Would you give up the life you have made, for them? If the answer is yes, they mean the world to you, then you had better hope that they know it too and that it is seem in your actions. Words are cheap, but actions show dedication and time. Things that are so precious to us now. Can we give of these for the ones we are supposed to unconditional love? Can we stop running in our busy modern lives to enjoy the presence of those around us?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment