Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

20 July, 2012

Compassion

I am not sure where I was discussing this, it may have been Bridges but I think it was with my Psychologist. We were discussing my relationship with my Father, and how I/we feel compassion for him, but we cannot let that sway us into restarting the relationship with him as it is dangerous for us.
I/we struggle with this as it seems a cruel thing to do to a person who may be dying. Surely the compassionate thing to do would be to forget the past and just be there for him. Self sacrifice, if you like, after all he doesn't have much time left so we wont have to do it forever.
As a survivor of abuse and trauma, it is my natural reaction to sacrifice what I need and want for some one else. (it may not be that way for other survivors but for me it is). Their needs come before mine, because I am, in essence, not important and or expendable.
I have been on a long journey learning that I do have the right to have my needs met and some of my wants too. That my safety IS important and I DO NOT have to put myself in a situation that I consider dangerous. The term SELF COMPASSION came up in the conversation the other day. How often do we show compassion to our selves? Most of the time we are much harder on ourselves than others. We criticize our actions, thoughts and every thing we say.


I saw this picture on Facebook today and didn't think it was one worth keeping until I went back and applied it all to myself. Showing self compassion. Forgiving and forgetting my own past sins. It is an expression of love in all its fullness....hmmm. Do we really love ourselves enough to show us compassion.







Sometimes doing what is right for someone else can be very wrong for us, and we do it any way.
 It is OK to say no to someone.
 It is OK to put our needs first.
It is more than OK to want to protect and love the person inside us.
Self Compassion starts with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment