Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

19 October, 2011

Parental Denial

I was commenting the other day at Bridges about how when we disclose our diagnosis to friends and family, particularly family, their response is often some what deflating. Sometimes they take it like it is a weather report. "Hmm that's not good dear!" Subsequent updates on our progress can often deliver the same response. This can of course be a little disappointing when we are expecting our family to be there for us and understanding.
It seems this is often a common response  from family and after exchanging a few of our own experiences with each other we concluded that maybe it was a case of parental denial.
What parent wants to accept that their child is ill or has been abused. Its not easy to take. Maybe they too are struggling to deal with their own denial. Maybe they have hidden their suspicions for years and just hoped they were wrong. I guarantee most parents feel at least some level of guilt for in some way allowing this to happen.
As I mentioned in my previous post, denial must be tacked slowly and when the person is ready. I know we may need or want their support right away, but maybe they need some time to come to grips with what has happened too. There may be a rare few who really just don't care, but I would say most would be now wondering to some to degree or another..what do I do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment