Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

21 January, 2013

Integration

I have wanted to cover this topic on my blog for some time but just haven't got around to it. This is a very in depth topic so it may take me a few posts to get out what I want to share. I am aware that a wide range of people read my blog. Some of you are also multiples and so are familiar with what integration is about and may have some very strong feelings on it. Others are new to this whole thing and are just trying to get their head around the idea that they know someone with this strange disorder. So I will start at the beginning and see how we go.
The basic concept behind Integration when used by professionals in reference to people with DID, is to get all the alters to integrate into one functioning personality. To make them a singleton, not a multiple. (as I call them). In essence to get them to be like everyone else. Sounds easy enough really and even quite practical. BUT, it is not that easy, not only from a logistical stand point but also from a psychological one.
Integration is a VERY heated subject amongst multiples. By just writing this and expressing my views, it is possible I may upset some people. That is not my intent at all, but as this is MY blog and MY space to express myself I feel I will share my thoughts on the matter. You are more than welcome to disagree. I am not yet perfect nor is all my knowledge.
Many has been done the the field of Psychiatry over the years that we now realise is not good safe practice. Major changes are happening especially in dealing with DID. Psychiatrists were considered the experts and they were known to pretty much  take control of this "poor messed up persons mind" and bring about some form of integration. Many still practice this type of psychiatry. I have heard of one shrink who says he will have integrated all the patients alters in a year, regardless of how the patient may feel about this. Many patients feel their alters are being killed off in this experience.
We are slowly moving into a better understanding of how DID works and what is best for the patient. One of the greatest achievements I believe, is the understanding that these traumatised people need to have the freedom to receive the treatment they want. We need to be free to decide for ourselves if integration in any form is for us, or if we would rather live our lives as many working together as one.
One of the hallmarks of someone with DID is that hey have had their rights stripped from them. They have not been able to choose for themselves how their life should be. They have been forced to live how someone else saw fit. One of the greatest things they can be given is the right to self determination. The right to choose their future. This can be very scary and many choose to have someone in control like a shrink, and that is their choice. But for those who wish it, there should finally be freedom.
Integration is not for every multiple, but the choice is. WE decide how we want to go, are we happy as many, or would we rather get the numbers back to something more manageable, maybe down to one. We have the right to choose to integrate or not and only through that can real healing come.

No comments:

Post a Comment