Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

12 January, 2012

Hospital

Hi everyone,
 I haven't been blogging much lately as it has been a bit hectic here. We have had 3 baby Cockatiels I have had to be feeding, one of them every 2-3hours, so as you can imagine I haven't had much spare time. We are in the middle of summer school holidays, so the boys are home most days. Less quiet time in the house too.
This morning I have an empty house and all birds are fed. I have been on the waiting list for an operation and I finally got the call for it the other day. I am due to have surgery on Wednesday all going well. While it is great news there has been a lot of work with my therapist to help me get there. I have had many operations over the years, four before the age of 2, so I am familiar with how it goes, but I have a very strong fear of recovery. That first hour after the surgery while I am trying to wake up has been a very hard and scary time for me. I liken the experience to trying to wake up from one of those dreams when my alters are talking to me and the dream state is far more real than reality. I really struggle to wake up and to understand what has happened. I am not sure how much alter activity is involved and if there is switching, in that a new alter is forward when I wake up and may not know what is happening. I find it very upsetting just thinking about it. I have done a lot of therapy about it and am feeling a lot better. Hopefully all will go well.
There is of course the dilemma of whether or not to disclose my DID to the medical staff. It may  help them handle me if I switch or have troubles, but there is also a lot of stigma surrounding DID and Mental illness in general. I am generally quite open with my diagnosis, but I am still not sure. I guess I will take it as it comes.
 Hopefully I will blog again before the operation, but if not I will keep you informed with how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment