Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

24 December, 2011

Do we have to remember?

Yesterday we had our Christmas break up for Bridges. It was a casual time with yummy food, to chat and discuss whatever came up. We had much discussion on many topics but one that did come up was the subject of remembering trauma. Is is essential for treatment? This can be especially interesting question for a multiple who does not remember much of the trauma. I have only a very few memories of the trauma, most of the memories are well hidden by my alters.
Question being, do I need to dredge up the memories of the past to heal? Does every alter need to reveal the secrets they hold, in order for me to move on. 
There are many trains of thought on this as you can probably imagine. Those that believe that the past is better off left where it is.
Memories are interesting things, and the mind has an amazing ability and desire to protect us. Memories are rarely stored in complete form. By this I mean that a memory may be nothing more than a feeling, or part of an activity. People often don't have faces, or even different faces from what they should. A memory of a traumatic event may be stored with none of the emotion attached with it, so that you can see it but not have any recall of the feelings felt at the time. Memories can often be stored out of sequence. With all of this confusion why even bother with remembering what has happened. Can it be trusted?
Others who of course think that in order to heal we must know what is hidden in the past.
The past certainly affects the future, and seems in a sense logical to know what has happened and to allow the body to heal of the trauma. Trauma can have a very dramatic affect on the body. The body remembers things done to it where there are often not words to express it. A flinch away from a certain touch, a dislike of a type of food. We may not know why we are reacting this way, but the body does and this can last for years. Especially if the trauma is experienced in childhood and no treatment is received. It can become in ground into our behaviour, with no logical reasoning behind it. I have never like people putting their hand on the back of my neck. It creeps me out and I have to get it off immediately. I never really knew why. (I do now!)
Whichever opinion you may have, one thing is thing is seems to be true. When the time is right, and/or the need is there, the memories will resurface. It can be dangerous to force people to remember traumatic events before they are ready. It can traumatize them further, and cause even more problems. It is not uncommon for many child abuse survivors to not remember their abuse at all until their late 30's or 40's. This of course causes a problem if you want to prosecute the abuser, but it is a protection mechanism for the survivor. By this time in life they are often feeling safer and stronger than before, and emotionally better able to deal with what has happened.
In my own case, I knew for years that something had happened to me but I could never remember what. I often searched to internet for ways to open up my memory, I even saw a councilor or two to see if they could help me figure out what had happened to me. Repeatedly the same message came through,"when you are ready you will remember." It was very frustrating, but it is true.
When I hit my 40's, I was in a stable and loving marriage, in a nice home, my children were getting older, and the truth started to reveal itself. Although I wanted to know earlier, I really wasn't ready. I didn't have the support systems I was going to need and I was not emotionally able to deal with the truth.
Remember one thing above all else, human beings are designed to survive and they will do almost anything to make that happen, both physically and mentally.  Protecting you is what it is all about. When you are safe, it can relax and let things go, until then, it must protect you from what ever it feels is here to hurt you. As frustrating as it is, be patient, chances are, you are moving at the right pace for you. In time, what needs to be reveled will.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lonnie, This is all a bit overwhelming, I think I might have DID. I have cPTSD - your story quite similar to mine, including the weight gain from young and so many fad diets - the 70's were ridiculous! I recently had the experience of a flashback in which I was not in control. A four year old was. I didn't know what I would say or do before I said it and quite literally was astounded by the memories coming through and by my actions as I played out and relived the trauma. This is the first time anything like this has happened. I never thought I'd get memories back. I have always know there were things I could not remember and had made peace with that. I am a bit scared and overwhelmed now and wondering if I do have DID and what that will mean for me and my fiance. How do I know for sure? I am wondering what voices in your head sound like - I talk to myself all the time, sometimes quite sternly as if to a child, but that is just so that I get things done. My fiance says I change, he experiences my energy change, shift completely, 180*. I feel it too and it always happens when triggered - it feels like my emotions shut off and become cold ... or at times the triggers overwhelm my emotions and I become agitated and weepy...and right now I am judging every word I write, very critical and aloof and with that thought ...I disassociate.

    Ok, too much ... I don't know what more to write (and this feels like me again)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon, firstly don't panic. If you do have DID it is not the end of the world. I am not a medical professional but what you have explained definitely has some dissociative characteristics. It can be very scary, especially when someone else seems to be in control of your body. My voices sometimes sound just like someone else is talking in my head, at other times it can be just a whisper. They can be very negative at times and overwhelming. If you do have DID there may be a bitof a rocky road ahead as more stuff comes out. Everyone is different and so is their experience with DID. I recommend finding a therapist of some kind who works with people who have been through trauma. With the internet there are quite a few resources available to us now. Don't know if you have face book but we run a group on there that may be of help also. You are not alone Sharon. I am happy to talk more and answer any questions you may have and put you in touch with the resources I have. Thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete