Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

26 October, 2012

Graduation

Last night we celebrated my eldest sons graduation from high school. It is such a proud moment, made even more special by the determination and hard work that was needed to get him through school in the first place. He was diagnosed at 7 years old with ADD (no hyperactivity), developmental delay, low muscle tone and compulsive toe walking. The next few years were just plain hard work. We regularly visited psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, doctors and hospital. Twice he had plaster casts put on both legs at the same time, to help with the toe walking. He required extra help at school, and I had to spent as much time as I could in school to help, as at times he was very hard to control. It took 3 three schools until we could find the one that could give him the help he needed. He had to repeat a year of school because of his developmental delay.
During this time I wondered if he would ever finish high school. It all seemed just too hard and beyond our reach. He had trouble writing as his muscle tone problems meant he didn't have the control of his upper body that he needed. I can not count the hours we spent practising. All this time I was a single mother(with DID) also raising a toddler.  I really don't know how I made it. At the time I remember thinking I wouldn't, and wondering if it was worth all the hard work and exhaustion. At times I felt like I couldn't go on.
To see him standing on the stage last night graduating, and knowing he is heading on to University next year to study Biomedical Science, is beyond my wildest dreams. He has achieved so much and come so far.  Yes I have more grey hairs because of it. Yes the bags and wrinkles are more pronounced, but it is all worth it to see him on the path he loves and a life he enjoys. He is one of my greatest blessings, and while parenting can be the hardest thing you will ever do, the rewards are beyond anything you can imagine.   Days like today I remember: it is all worth the fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment