Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

17 May, 2012

Triggering food.

In discussions with my Therapist today she gave me a very helpful tip on how to eat food that is triggering me. Thought I might share it here in case it can help someone else.
Because of the abuse I went through, I have a lot of trouble eating certain foods. I can even start eating them and then half way through, cant stomach them. It is more to do with the texture than the taste, and I will feel very nauseated until I can't stomach any more food unless it is something dry like bread.
My Therapist recommend eating food Mindfully. For those of you who are not familiar with mindfulness I will give you a quick run down.
Most of the time when we eat, or do many things really, we are not fully aware of what we are doing. Our minds are on other things. We often watch TV while we eat, talk on the phone, or drive. There are many things to take our mind off of what we are doing. Have you ever taken time to stop and enjoy the food you are eating. Take a mandarin for example. Do you quickly peal it and toss it in your mouth? Most of us do most of the time, and if this is something triggering we can easily get lost in that.
Next time you eat a mandarin, or any food really, take your time and savour the experience. Calm your thoughts, smell the mandarin, look at the skin, its colour and texture. Peel it feeling how the skin breaks in your hand. Feel the juice spray on your fingers. When you eat it, take it one piece at a time. Eat it slowly, let the flavours linger on your tongue, notice the different flavours. Is it sweet or bitter? Juicy or dry? Enjoy it, experience it, savour it. Don't just pass it over as eating food.
When it comes to triggering foods, the same principle applies. being fully aware of what it is when you are eating it. It is not that horrible thing that happened many years ago. Stay in the moment and feel every part of the mandarin. This should help to take that triggering affect away from the food. It may take time but it should work. I haven't tried it yet, but will keep you informed on my progress.
 If you have any other ideas on Food triggering, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment