Welcome to my Blog.

These are my ramblings in an attempt try and understand my Dissociative Identity Disorder. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that together we can come to a better understanding of the human mind. If you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to add them to my blog, or to email me. I would love to hear from you.

09 September, 2011

Dissociation

I wanted to add a personal note to the post on the 31/8/11 from Sarah.
13/14years ago my first husband left me for another woman. 4 days later I found out I was 5 months pregnant with our second son. The next few months/years were some of the hardest of my life, especially in regards to my DID. ( although I was not diagnosed at that time )
One of the things I did not really notice until a few years later was the loss of my sense of smell. Obviously in order to deal with all the stresses of that time I lived most of my life at least partially dissociated.
My sons are now 18 and 13, and over the last few years as my life as improved immensely. I have learned so much about my condition, and my sense of smell has started to return. It is spring here in Australia and I am for the first time in years able to smell the fresh cut grass. Such a wonderful smell. I have also noticed that my sense of touch is improving. Not so much a problem in my hands but my face. My exfoliating cream I have been using for months now actually seems abrasive, I can feel my husbands arm and jumper fabric when I rest my head on it to watch TV. It is like coming alive again after a hibernation.
I guess ultimately it is a sign that I am in a much better place in my life, and that is good.

At Bridges they keep saying there is HOPE for people with DID and at times when you are dealing with the trauma and hurt it can be hard to see. But I can see now that my life will go on and there is much I can do. I see and feel the HOPE. I hope you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment